With decent highways, cheap petrol prices and many quick stops along the way, renting a car in Georgia is probably the best choice to stay flexible, save time and make the most of a road trip.
Renting a car and going for a road trip in Georgia is the best idea if you are traveling with friends or your partner and want to see as much as you can in this incredible country. However, driving in Georgia is not the same as in countries like Germany or the UK. Many traffic rules don´t apply or even exist and this might be just the beginning.
During my last trip in Georgia I decided to go on a road trip in Georgia and in the following article I will give you some tips on how to rent a car from the right company and make your next adventure incredible.
For this road trip we decided to get a vehicle in Kutaisi and pay extra to leave the car in Tbilisi’s airport. Round trips are also possible, but to the lack of time we decided to drive less and see more.
Here we will give you some simple tips on how to safe some money when planning to rent a car in Georgia and do a road trip in the country.
Tips when renting a car in Georgia:
- Compare vehicle prices on large websites and search machines.
- Don´t book a vehicle without a good insurance policy. Traffic accidents in Georgia are more common than you think.
- In cities like Tbilisi or Batumi you will see lots of advertising and rental companies offering cars to rent. However, get some information on the internet and book at trusted companies or websites.
- Read the fine print in the insurance policies. Since traffic in Georgia is very chaotic, companies know the difficulties foreign drivers may experience and might include unwanted policies in their contracts without you noticing it.
- Renting a car if you are traveling with more than 3 people is by far the best choice you can make. Pay for additional drivers and share the driving load.
- It´s usual to see cars at 100 km/h in 60km/h zones. Always be careful and stay alert while driving.
- If you are traveling in winter, consider renting a large car. It might be more expensive, but you will be able to reach some of the most interesting destinations in the country.
- Avoid driving on the highways at night. Trucks come and go in both directions and many don´t respect the traffic rules.
Read more: Traveling to the Caucasus in Georgia
- There are small gas stations almost every 5km and larger stations every 10-15km. These places are great for getting food, drinks and use a toilet.
- Download road maps from Google Maps before your trip.
- Check the weather conditions of the places you plan to visit a day in advance (especially if you are driving in winter).
- Parking in cities and near tourist attractions is not complicated or difficult at all. Parking fees are also relatively cheap.
- Stop more often and enjoy some of the most beautiful landscapes this country has to offer.
Info: During my stay in Georgia we decided to rent a 4×4 car at Georgia4you. They have a great variety of vehicles for a good price and an excellent insurance policy. We decided to go with the large vehicle because of its use for difficult road conditions and since we wanted to visit the Gergeti Trinity Church in Stepandsminda, this was the only choice available for our budget. A great choice which helped us save money, time and gave us the freedom to stop everywhere and take amazing photographs like this.